Friday 26 October 2018

Something wicked this way comes!



Some of our family live in Canada and it's kind of a big thing to decorate your houses and go trick or treating. Every year we get photos of the different outfits chosen and the copious amounts of candy my nieces have collected. We don't so much celebrate Halloween in our household. However, I do happen to have a Harry Potter inspired room. And this guy is going to fit right in. 





He was rather a challenge but here is my ghoul inspired Dementor. And I am about to walk through with you exactly how he was created. So you can make one as a decoration for Halloween or just as a permanent feature to your room. 

Suggested Ingredients list: Wire, empty kitchen roll, masking tape, skull head, Black Powertex, cheese cloth or old t-shirt, stockinette, powercotton, white powercolor, silver colortricx, irridescent blue pigment, varnish.



Step One: I had a spare mini skull in my stash. I cut his teeth out and changed the angel of his jaw. Holding it in place with a long piece of wire. Making a loop at the top I thread the wire through the top of the head holding the jaw in place, leaving a length as his neck. Then attached to a kitchen roll, which I bent into an arch for his shoulders and covered in masking tape. I measured about 60cm of wire to pass through the roll before taping up these would become the base of his arms.


Step two: I used some masking tape to fill in his mouth and around his eye sockets which I made a little larger by cutting out with a scalpel. And started wrapping the arm wire with foil. Using more around the top and bottom end of the section to create a bone looking shape.

Step three: I took 6 lengths of quite long wire. I wanted my ghoul to have long boney fingers. Taping at the base I bent one length done to be able to attach to the arm. The other lengths I trimmed so they mimicked the length of fingers on a hand. 

 Step four: Then I started covering with masking tape. Adding tin foil at the knuckles and then covering in masking tape. Attach the hands to the end of the wire arm by winding the spare wire at the hands wrist section around the bone arm base. Cover up with masking tape.

Step Five: This is the type of base you want to have created. I covered in Black Powertex and kitchen roll to give the base and extra sinewy finished. But you can skip that part if you like. 



Step Six: I draped a piece of cloth over the shoulders to create a base to work up from. An old pair of cheese cloth curtains, but you could use an old t-shirt.

Step Seven: Create a hood with lighter cheese cloth material or t-shirt. Then add stockinette to add depth and texture and then some Powercotton draped over for extra texture.




Drape all the different textures through the boney fingers.



Step Eight: My favourite part. Dry brush using varnish and white powercolor. I then used a touch of silver colortricx in places. And for the hands and the face a touch of interference blue powder pigment from The Secret Art Loft range. 





 I love to show how you can make a piece by re-purposing or building your own base. If you don't wish to create the structure you could always buy a skeleton base instead and decorate that in the same way. I also forgot to add some paper decoration. I love this as texture it would work perfectly for this project. The great thing about Powertex is you can add to it when dry. So I can always go back and add some paper dec at a later date! 

Don't forget to share all your makes with us on Facebook in The Powertex Studio group or on the Powertex Addicts United page.

You can find me at Rosehart Studio on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest. Toodles Anna xXx

2 comments: